Safe speeds are a crucial component of the Safe System approach. Death and serious injuries are reduced through speeds that are safe and appropriate for each road’s function, design and use.
Speed management services
If you’re developing speed management strategies and programmes, need a speed limit review, or want to develop a treatment plan, we can help.
We provide the technical know-how and give you the support you need to have challenging conversations with your community.
We can support you with:
- Developing speed management programmes. Review high-benefit opportunities and identify intervention strategies that consider local conditions, community views, and the potential to reduce death and serious injury.
- Speed Limit Bylaw reviews. Develop implementation plans and identify locations for speed limit changes. We also provide support and advisory services during the Bylaw consultation and hearing process.
- Implementation. Develop treatment plans to lower speeds, including the production of high-quality implementation maps and scheme designs.
We’re proud partners with Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, delivering the Safer Journeys Risk Assessment Tool (Mega Maps) – helping road controlling authorities prioritise speed management across New Zealand.
Internationally, we deliver guidance on road risk assessment and engagement for speed management to Austroads and Australian state government. We also partner with iRAP to integrate speed management into iRAP models and tools.
- Road Risk Assessment, Case Studies and Engagement Guidance for Speed Management
- Calibrating Infrastructure Risk Rating (IRR) to Inform Speed Management in Queensland
- Not all Roads are Created Equal: A Framework to Align Travel Speeds with Road Function, Design, Safety and Use
My team has engaged Abley extensively over many years … The most recent work has been the delivery of the Speed Management Framework and associated mapping tool, which has not only received praise from road controlling authorities across New Zealand, but has also been the basis of recognition at international conferences and has been adopted wholly or in part by Australian states.”
Glenn Bunting, Manager Network Safety, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
Helping Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency to save lives on our roads
One of the first large pieces of work we did with the Agency was developing SafetyNET. This project mapped risk across the state highway network using both proactive and reactive risk metrics. This was used by Waka Kotahi to identify locations needing road safety improvements.